5-days-a-week through the Psalms in 2018
Christ, your prayer leaves me aghast. Father, is it really true?
From yourself your Son you cast, While he gasped and groped for you?
Can religion turn so raw? Was there no one else to aid?
Did he always keep your law, Whom in dust of death you laid?
Then my guilt is naked too, And your holy wrath at sin.
Do not hurl me far from you. Save me from polite chagrin.
Crushed and contrite heart I need, Not a meager shrug or nod.
For Christ’s sake alone, I plead, Never leave me, God, my God. Amen.
- For the choir director: according to “The Deer of the Dawn.” A psalm of David.
- My God, my God, why have you abandoned me? Why are you so far from my deliverance and from my words of groaning? 2 My God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, by night, yet I have no rest.
- 3 But you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. 4 Our fathers trusted in you; they trusted, and you rescued them. 5 They cried to you and were set free; they trusted in you and were not disgraced.
- 6 But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by people. 7 Everyone who sees me mocks me; they sneer and shake their heads: 8 “He relies on the LORD; let him save him; let the LORD rescue him, since he takes pleasure in him.”
- 9 It was you who brought me out of the womb, making me secure at my mother’s breast. 10 I was given over to you at birth; you have been my God from my mother’s womb.
- 11 Don’t be far from me, because distress is near and there’s no one to help.
For yourself, pray:
- That when your prayers seem to go unanswered you trust in Jesus’ blood more
Other people to pray for:
- For believers who are being scorned
A psalm setting to listen to:
- Listen to Psalm 22 (YouTube, band)