5-days-a-week through the Psalms in 2018
Christ, your prayer leaves me aghast. Father, is it really true?
From yourself your Son you cast, While he gasped and groped for you?
Can religion turn so raw? Was there no one else to aid?
Did he always keep your law, Whom in dust of death you laid?
Then my guilt is naked too, And your holy wrath at sin.
Do not hurl me far from you. Save me from polite chagrin.
Crushed and contrite heart I need, Not a meager shrug or nod.
For Christ’s sake alone, I plead, Never leave me, God, my God. Amen.
- Many bulls surround me; strong ones of Bashan encircle me. 13 They open their mouths against me– lions, mauling and roaring.
- 14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are disjointed; my heart is like wax, melting within me. 15 My strength is dried up like baked clay; my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. You put me into the dust of death.
- 16 For dogs have surrounded me; a gang of evildoers has closed in on me; they pierced my hands and my feet. 17 I can count all my bones; people look and stare at me. 18 They divided my garments among themselves, and they cast lots for my clothing.
- 19 But you, LORD, don’t be far away. My strength, come quickly to help me. 20 Rescue my life from the sword, my only life from the power of these dogs. 21 Save me from the lion’s mouth, from the horns of wild oxen.
- You answered me! 22 I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters; I will praise you in the assembly.
For yourself, pray:
- That God will not seem far from you
Other people to pray for:
- For the military personnel who guard us all
A psalm setting to listen to:
- Listen to Psalm 22 (YouTube, soloist with band)