5-days-a-week through the Psalms in 2018
Christ, your prayer leaves me aghast. Father, is it really true?
From yourself your Son you cast, While he gasped and groped for you?
Can religion turn so raw? Was there no one else to aid?
Did he always keep your law, Whom in dust of death you laid?
Then my guilt is naked too, And your holy wrath at sin.
Do not hurl me far from you. Save me from polite chagrin.
Crushed and contrite heart I need, Not a meager shrug or nod.
For Christ’s sake alone, I plead, Never leave me, God, my God. Amen.
- You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you descendants of Jacob, honor him! All you descendants of Israel, revere him! 24 For he has not despised or abhorred the torment of the oppressed. He did not hide his face from him but listened when he cried to him for help.
- 25 I will give praise in the great assembly because of you; I will fulfill my vows before those who fear you. 26 The humble will eat and be satisfied; those who seek the LORD will praise him. May your hearts live forever!
- 27 All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD. All the families of the nations will bow down before you, 28 for kingship belongs to the LORD; he rules the nations.
- 29 All who prosper on earth will eat and bow down; all those who go down to the dust will kneel before him– even the one who cannot preserve his life.
- 30 Their descendants will serve him; the next generation will be told about the Lord. 31 They will come and declare his righteousness; to a people yet to be born they will declare what he has done.
For yourself, pray:
- That you will have a part in all the ends of the earth turning to the Lord
Other people to pray for:
- For the generation to come after us, that they too will worship the Lord
A psalm setting to listen to:
- Listen to Psalm 22 (YouTube, soloist with band)