5-days-a-week through the Psalms in 2018
First pray, like David:
In you, O Lord, I find my refuge; never let me be put to shame:
My rock, my fortress, help me, guide me; come for the sake of your great name!
Into your hands I trust my spirit, Lord God of truth, redeeming me:
From falsehood and from fears you save me; you gave me space, and I was free.
Now once again show me your mercy; these heavy years are filled with grief:
Friend, foe and neighbor all discard me, leave me for dead, with no relief.
I hear the whispering tongues of many; fears lie in wait on every side:
They have been plotting, all together; their deadly threats are multiplied. Amen.
- For the choir director. A psalm of David.
- LORD, I seek refuge in you; let me never be disgraced. Save me by your righteousness. 2 Listen closely to me; rescue me quickly. Be a rock of refuge for me, a mountain fortress to save me. 3 For you are my rock and my fortress; you lead and guide me for your name’s sake.
- 4 You will free me from the net that is secretly set for me, for you are my refuge. 5 Into your hand I entrust my spirit; you have redeemed me, LORD, God of truth.
- 6 I hate those who are devoted to worthless idols, but I trust in the LORD. 7 I will rejoice and be glad in your faithful love because you have seen my affliction. You know the troubles of my soul 8 and have not handed me over to the enemy. You have set my feet in a spacious place.
- 9 Be gracious to me, LORD, because I am in distress; my eyes are worn out from frustration– my whole being as well. 10 Indeed, my life is consumed with grief and my years with groaning; my strength has failed because of my iniquity, and my bones waste away. 11 I am ridiculed by all my adversaries and even by my neighbors. I am dreaded by my acquaintances; those who see me in the street run from me. 12 I am forgotten: gone from memory like a dead person– like broken pottery.
For yourself, pray:
- That at your last hour Jesus will receive your spirit
Other people to pray for:
- For believers forgotten by the rest of the world, like broken junk
A psalm setting to listen to:
- Listen to Psalm 31 (YouTube, children’s choir)