5-days-a-week through the Psalms in 2018
First pray to God, like David:
Will you sit aloof and silent while the nations rage and fight?
Will you tolerate injustice, God whose ways are truth and light?
Will your mercy not deliver those who turn to you in prayer?
Will there not be new songs written songs to thank you for you care?
When at last the conflict eases, when these days of battle end,
May we share with all the nations the abundant gifts you send,
Then shall all our children flourish; then our homes will be secured;
But our greatest joy and honor will be knowing you, our Lord. Amen.
- Of David. Blessed be the LORD, my rock who trains my hands for battle and my fingers for warfare. 2 He is my faithful love and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer. He is my shield, and I take refuge in him; he subdues my people under me.
- 3 LORD, what is a human that you care for him, a son of man that you think of him? 4 A human is like a breath; his days are like a passing shadow.
- 5 LORD, part your heavens and come down. Touch the mountains, and they will smoke. 6 Flash your lightning and scatter the foe; shoot your arrows and rout them. 7 Reach down from on high; rescue me from deep water, and set me free from the grasp of foreigners 8 whose mouths speak lies, whose right hands are deceptive.
For yourself pray:
- For the right sense of God’s greatness and your comparative insignificance
Other people to pray for:
- For those who have lied to you
A psalm setting to listen to:
- Psalm 144 (YouTube, soloist with guitar)