5-days-a-week through the Psalms in 2018
First pray like David:
I love you, Lord, my shield, my strength, my rock, my tow’r, my sure defense.
I called; you rescued from my foes, from savage snares, beyond immense.
Death, and the terrors of the grave, stood round me with their dismal shade,
While floods of high temptations rose, and made my sinking soul afraid.
In my distress I called, “My God,” when I could scarce believe him mine:
He bowed his ear to my complaint. Then how his grace appeared divine:
Great were my fears, and great my foes, much was their strength, and more their rage;
But you my Lord, are conqueror still, in all the wars which devils wage.
My song forever shall record that terrible, that joyful hour;
And give all glory to you, Lord, for all your mercy and your power. Amen.
- For the choir director. Of the servant of the LORD, David, who spoke the words of this song to the LORD on the day the LORD rescued him from the grasp of all his enemies and from the power of Saul. He said: I love you, LORD, my strength.
- 2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock where I seek refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. 3 I called to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I was saved from my enemies.
- 4 The ropes of death were wrapped around me; the torrents of destruction terrified me. 5 The ropes of Sheol entangled me; the snares of death confronted me. 6 I called to the LORD in my distress, and I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears.
- 7 Then the earth shook and quaked; the foundations of the mountains trembled; they shook because he burned with anger. 8 Smoke rose from his nostrils, and consuming fire came from his mouth; coals were set ablaze by it. 9 He bent the heavens and came down, total darkness beneath his feet.
For yourself pray:
- That you love God more and more, especially in your weakness
Other people to pray for:
- For believers who are near death
A psalm setting to listen to:
- Psalm 18 (YouTube, soloist with piano)