5-days-a-week through the Psalms in 2018
First pray like David:
I love you, Lord, my shield, my strength, my rock, my tow’r, my sure defense.
I called; you rescued from my foes, from savage snares, beyond immense.
Death, and the terrors of the grave, stood round me with their dismal shade,
While floods of high temptations rose, and made my sinking soul afraid.
In my distress I called, “My God,” when I could scarce believe him mine:
He bowed his ear to my complaint. Then how his grace appeared divine:
Great were my fears, and great my foes, much was their strength, and more their rage;
But you my Lord, are conqueror still, in all the wars which devils wage.
My song forever shall record that terrible, that joyful hour;
And give all glory to you, Lord, for all your mercy and your power. Amen.
- The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness; he repaid me according to the cleanness of my hands. 21 For I have kept the ways of the LORD and have not turned from my God to wickedness. 22 Indeed, I let all his ordinances guide me and have not disregarded his statutes. 23 I was blameless toward him and kept myself from my iniquity. 24 So the LORD repaid me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight.
- 25 With the faithful you prove yourself faithful, with the blameless you prove yourself blameless, 26 with the pure you prove yourself pure; but with the crooked you prove yourself shrewd.
- 27 For you rescue an oppressed people, but you humble those with haughty eyes.
- 28 LORD, you light my lamp; my God illuminates my darkness. 29 With you I can attack a barricade, and with my God I can leap over a wall.
For yourself pray:
- That God keeps you humble, and lights your lamp
Other people to pray for:
- For Andrew Brunson, a pastor whose trial in Turkey begins today
A psalm setting to listen to:
- Psalm 18 (YouTube, soloist and congregation with piano)